Tandoori Aloo is a marinated potato dish that is traditionally prepared in Tandoor that is made of clay. But we are going to use an Oven or barbeque for simplicity. It is one of my favorite appetizers and easy to prepare.
Tandoori AlooCourse: AppetizerCuisine: Indian
250 gm baby potatoes or regular potatoes
½ cup hung curd or thick curd
1 Tbsp besan (or gram flour)
2 teaspoon ginger-garlic-chilly paste
½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
1 tbs red chili powder
½ tbs garam masala powder
1 tbs chaat masala powder
1 tbs coriander powder
½ tbs kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) (optional)
⅛ tbs turmeric powder
2 tbsp salt
- Start by parboiling potatoes or cook in a pressure cooker till 1 whistle. If you are using normal size potatoes then cut them into even-sized pieces so it’s easier to cook them.
- For ginger-garlic-chilly paste take ¾ inch ginger + 5 to 6 small to medium garlic cloves + 2 green chilies & crush into a paste.
- Mix all the marination ingredients in a bowl until you get a smooth paste.
- Now add the potatoes and coat them with the batter evenly.
- For best results allow potatoes to marinate overnight or at least 30 minutes.
- Grease the baking tray. Now place all the pieces by keeping some distance between them.
- Preheat the oven at 250c or 480F. Cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes until brown spots appear. Turn the potatoes halfway through cooking.
- You can also grill them in a pan or barbeque them. For cooking in a pan, add some oil and cook for all the sides until light brown.
Tandoori aloo is ready. Serve hot with some mint chutney.