If you have a sweet tooth like me but try to eat healthily, I have just the right recipe for you. Quinoa apple kheer has all the yumminess of kheer but it uses superfood quinoa instead of traditional rice which makes it a much healthier option. It also has the goodness of apple which adds natural sweetness without needing much added sugar.
Quinoa Kheer (Indian Pudding)Course: Dessert
1 cup cooked Quinoa
3 cups of milk
1/2 cup grated apple
1 tbsp Jaggery or Brown Sugar
1tbsp Ghee (Clarified butter)
1 tbsp Dry fruits for garnish
1 tbsp Chia seeds (optional)
- To cook quinoa, in a pot combine 1/2 cup quinoa with 2 cups water. Bring water to boil. Reduce heat. cover and simmer until liquid has evaporated. (Around 15 minutes).
- Let it stand for 5 minutes and you will end up with about 1 cup of cooked quinoa.
- In a pot add 1 tbsp ghee on medium heat.
- When ghee is hot add apple and saute for 2-3 minutes until apple becomes golden brown.
- Now add milk and sugar
- You need to stir it continuously so that milk doesn’t stick to the pan.
- After 15-20 minutes turn off the heat and garnish with chopped nuts and chia seeds
- You can enjoy kheer hot or let it cool down and refrigerate it. If you are planning to enjoy the dish cold then you might need to add more milk later as quinoa will soak all the milk.